Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Comments, Suggestions...and Guacamole!

Hello friends,

I just wanted to give a quick update. I'm on vacation right now, so look for a lengthier addition next week. First of all, I want to announce that I've changed my settings. Anyone can comment now. You don't need to have any type of account to do so. Also, I would like to encourage you to make comments! Whether you would like to agree, disagree, ask a question, make a statement, share a link, suggest a topic, etc. Your feedback is crucial to the success of this blog. Plus, if you don't comment, I'll feel like no one's reading these posts!

And by the way, please let me know if you would like to be notified by e-mail when I post a new blog entry. (I just found that option too.)

Finally, I want to share a very simple recipe with you: guacamole. It's a great dish for a snack, a party, when you have friends over, etc.

Every time I bring this guacamole any where people always say, I don't know how to make guacamole but I like it or they ask me how to make guacamole... So here is a very simple recipe that is absolutely delicious. Enjoy!

GUACAMOLE

Ingredients
1 ripe avocado (if you squeeze the avocado it should feel a bit soft)
1 garlic clove (minced, chopped, grated however you prefer to use garlic--I press it.)
juice from half a lime
salt to taste

Directions
1.Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit and save it.
2.Scoop the contents of the avocado out of the peel into a bowl
3.Cut the lime in half and add the juice from half a lime into the bowl with the avocado
4.Mash the avocado and juice together in the bowl until you have a smooth consistency
5.Prepare the garlic clove (mince or press, etc.) and stir the garlic into the avocado and lime
6.Sprinkle top of the bowl with salt and stir again.
7.Taste and add salt or lime juice to your taste and serve.

NOTE:
-If you have any leftovers or want to keep it in the fridge to use later put the pit in the guacomole before adding it to the fridge and it will keep it from turning brown.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Needs some pico de gallo for extra spice!! overall perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

nice blog. very informative. thanks for all the hard work.

Anonymous said...

louise says:
nice blog, very informative and educational, would like to see more receipes related to healthy cooking, any ideas or suggestions???

Anonymous said...

"This blog is about choices...several times a day, every day, each of us has the opportunity to promote a healthier, more equitable, more socially and environmentally sustainable world by the foods that we choose to eat."

Definitely Good..."Food for thought!"

Just saw the documentary film, "Food, Inc." What an "eye-opener!" I strongly recomend it.

It occurred to me that: Rather than throwing out the BABY (meat) with the bath water, I could CHOOSE to try eating meatless one day a week for one month. And when the month was over--evaluate what I learned from the experience.

One month...an easy enough committment...perhaps a BABY STEP...but, a step nonetheless. At least I wouldn't be setting myself up for failure, followed by shaming & blaming myself. I think it will be fun to step out of my habitual cultural trance for a month...to be more conscious of what I eat and the environmental costs of the choices I make.

I guess it's all just..."Food for thought." And out here in Texas cattle country, you're encouraged to keep any thoughts about healthy food choices to your self. Ask Oprah!